Blocked Kicks ▪ Oklahoma
This list is based on official publications, box scores, and game recaps, but there were some gaps and inconsistencies in those sources. Blocks from incomplete seasons are shaded in gray. Let me know if you find a discrepancy or know of any more prior to 1997 (there are no blocked extra points that were returned by OU for two points from 1988 - when the rule was added - and 1996).
Since 1997 sorted by most recent game/play first
- 2008: I cannot find Lendy Holmes' block vs Cincinnati in a box score, game recap, or video highlights (although there was a failed fake punt). In subsequent game notes, there is a blocked punt for 'Oklahoma Team'. In the 2009 media guide it is shown in his defensive totals, but not in the opponent punting totals.
- 2004: The postgame notes for the 2023 Iowa State game states "Brandon Shelby, who holds the OU career record with four blocked punts, had two blocks as a sophomore in 2002 and two blocks as a senior in 2004." The 2005 media guide I used for this list only credits Brodney Pool with the lone block in the Defensive Stats section for 2004. According to other sources the fourth block cannot be found.
- 2003: In the 2004 media guide, Jason Carter - not Brandon Shelby as reported in the Oklahoman - is credited with the punt block against LSU in the Sugar Bowl in both the player bios and the game recap.
- 2002: The 2003 media guide shows six team blocks. I have found seven which includes three for Andre Woolfolk who was only attributed with two in the media guide.
- 1999: I cannot determine the order of the blocks vs Indiana State.
- 1997: The 1998 media guide says Corey T. Ivy blocked an extra point in the Texas Tech game, but it looks like it was actually a 26-yard field goal attempt according to video highlights.