Game-Winning Scoring Plays
This is a list of games where the OU scoring play gave them the lead (8 points or less) and was the last score by either team in the 4th quarter. See Notes for other plays that came close to making the list. If you find another game that is not listed here, please contact me.
Since 1895 for field goals and 1940 for other plays
|Gabe Brkic||00:00||field goal||30||2021||9/25||H||West Virginia||W||16-13|
|Kennedy Brooks||00:03||run||33||2021||10/9||N||#21 Texas||W||55-48|
|Uwe von Schamann||00:03||field goal||41||1977||9/24||A||#4 Ohio State||W||29-28|
|Jeff Ferguson||00:05||field goal||40||1998||9/12||A||TCU||W||10-9|
|Tim Lashar||00:06||field goal||31||1986||11/22||A||#5 Nebraska||W||20-17|
|Rodney Anderson||00:07||run||22||2017||10/21||A||Kansas State||W||42-35|
|Scott Blanton||00:11||field goal||48||1994||9/3||A||Syracuse||W||30-29|
|Kenny Stills||00:24||pass||5||2012||11/17||A||West Virginia||W||50-49|
|Leon Heath||00:37||run||4||1950||10/7||H||Texas A&M||W||34-28|
|Elvis Peacock||00:38||run||2||1976||11/26||A||#10 Nebraska||W||20-17|
|Dave Wallace||00:40||field goal||19||1946||10/5||H||Texas A&M||W||10-7|
|Mike Vachon||00:48||field goal||21||1966||11/24||H||#4 Nebraska||W||10-9|
|Buster Rhymes||00:56||run||1||1980||11/22||A||#4 Nebraska||W||21-17|
|Gerald Williams||01:12||pass||44||1998||10/31||H||Iowa State||W||17-14|
|Tim Lashar||01:14||field goal||46||1983||10/15||A||Oklahoma State||W||21-20|
|Steve Rhodes||01:27||pass||11||1980||1/1||N||#2 Florida State||W||18-17|
|Scott Blanton||01:38||field goal||39||1994||10/22||A||Kansas||W||20-17|
|Gabe Brkic||01:45||field goal||31||2019||11/16||A||#12 Baylor||W||34-31|
|Aubrey McCall||01:50||pass||49||1945||11/10||H||Iowa State||W||14-7|
|Joe Wylie||02:24||run||5||1970||10/31||A||Iowa State||W||29-28|
|Darrell Shepard||02:31||run||49||1981||11/7||A||Kansas State||W||28-21|
|Charles Thompson||02:33||run||18||1988||11/5||A||#12 Oklahoma State||W||31-28|
|Darrell Shepard||02:36||run||49||1981||11/7||A||Kansas State||W||28-21|
|Spencer Tillman||03:34||run||7||1984||10/20||A||Iowa State||W||12-10|
|Billy Vessels||03:46||run||11||1950||10/14||N||#4 Texas||W||14-13|
|Steve Owens||04:14||run||5||1968||11/9||A||#3 Kansas||W||27-23|
|Joe Washington||04:20||run||71||1975||11/15||A||#18 Missouri||W||28-27|
|Bobby Boyd||05:00||run||31||1958||11/29||A||Oklahoma State||W||7-0|
|Tony DiRienzo||05:25||field goal||37||1974||10/12||N||#17 Texas||W||16-13|
|Horace Ivory||05:31||run||33||1975||10/11||N||#5 Texas||W||24-17|
|Bob Herndon||05:55||run||10||1954||9/25||H||#20 TCU||W||21-16|
|Mark Bradley||06:43||pass||39||2004||11/6||A||#22 Texas A&M||W||42-35|
|Torrance Marshall||07:18||interception return||41||2000||11/11||A||#23 Texas A&M||W||35-31|
|Ben Hart||07:29||pass||65||1964||11/28||A||Oklahoma State||W||21-16|
|R.D. Lashar||08:15||field goal||22||1988||10/22||A||Colorado||W||17-14|
|Jimmy Stevens||08:28||field goal||27||2010||12/4||N||#13 Nebraska||W||23-20|
|Rick Fulcher||08:44||field goal||41||1972||11/23||A||#5 Nebraska||W||17-14|
|Malcolm Kelly||10:42||pass||35||2007||10/6||N||#19 Texas||W||28-21|
|Derald Lebow||11:00 *||run||4||1944||10/7||N||Texas A&M||W||21-14|
|Patrick Collins||12:25||run||45||1985||10/12||N||#17 Texas||W||14-7|
|Raymond Courtright||NA||field goal||30||1912||11/2||A||Kansas||W||6-5|
* Estimated time left per newspaper report
- There are over 80 one-score games from 1897 to 1939 to be researched. However, play details like time left, quarter, etc., are taking longer and longer to find in the newspaper articles.
- In the 2015 Tennessee game, Sterling Shepard caught a 5-yard pass from Baker Mayfield to tie the game 24-24 at 00:40 (W 31-24 2OT).
- In the 2013 OSU game, Jalen Saunders caught a 7-yard pass from Blake Bell to give OU a 27-24 lead at 00:19. On the ensuing OSU possession, Eric Striker recovered a fumble for a touchdown (no PAT was attempted) at 00:00 to give OU a two-score lead (W 33-24).
- In the 2012 OSU game, Blake Bell scored on a 4-yard run from the Belldozer formation on 4th-and-1 to tie the game 45-45 at 00:04 (W 51-48 OT).
- In the 2001 Texas game, Teddy Lehman's 2-yard interception return (thanks to the 'Superman' play by Roy Williams) extended OU's lead to 14-3 at 02:01.
- In the 1976 Texas game, Horace Ivory scored on a 1-yard run at 01:38. But the snap on the extra point was off and holder Bud Hebert's desperation pass was intercepted (T 6-6).
- In the 1952 Colorado game, Billy Vessels scored on a 1-yard run with less than three minutes left to tie the game (T 21-21).
- In the 1947 OSU game, George Thomas' 59-yard run extended OU's lead to 21-13 at 01:50.
- In the 1947 Missouri game, Jack Mitchell's 1-yard run extended OU's lead to 21-12 with less than three minutes left.
- In the 1947 Kansas game, OU's final drive ended at the Kansas 16 as time ran out when Darrell Royal threw an interception (T 13-13).
- Austin Seibert's 33-yard attempt vs Army in 2018 to win the game missed at 00:00 (W 28-21 OT).
- Garret Hartley's 44-yard attempt at Oregon in 2006 to win the game was blocked at 00:00 (L 34-33).
- Steve Daniels' 33-yard attempt at Kansas in 1997 to tie the game was blocked at 01:13 (L 20-17). This came after his 28-yarder was good but was nullified due to a penalty.
- Jeremy Alexander's 45-yarder vs Texas in 1996 to tie the game was at 02:26 (W 30-27 OT).
- Jeremy Alexander's 42-yard attempt vs Texas in 1995 to win the game missed at 00:26 (T 24-24).
- Scott Blanton's 27-yarder at Oklahoma State in 1992 to tie the game was at 00:00 (T 15-15).
- R.D. Lashar's 46-yard attempt vs Texas in 1990 to win the game missed at 00:00 (L 14-13).
- Bruce Derr's 42-yarder vs Alabama in 1970 to tie the game was at 01:04 (T 24-24).
- Bruce Derr's 34-yard attempt vs SMU in 1968 to win the game missed with between 15 and 19 seconds left (L 28-27). Newspaper reports say the clock was at 00:19, but it is somewhat unclear if that was before or after the kick was attempted. If true, it is doubtful that the clock ran out as some other sources have reported.
- Butch Metcalf's 39-yard attempt vs Missouri in 1964 to win the game missed at 00:13 (T 14-14).
- Dave Wallace's field goal vs Texas A&M in 1946 has appeared as a 25-yarder in at least one other newspaper report.
- Raymond Courtright's field goal at Kansas in 1912 was not the last play of the game. After several other plays (and a missed field goal by Courtright), Kansas kicker Weidline missed a 30-yarder (estimated) just before the final whistle blew.